This fine pair of bracelets comprises hoops of double rows of rigid, silver wire in an undulating, naga-like pattern. A square plaque with a domed finial contains the screw mechanism which allows the bracelets to open. Tiny pendant silver spheres are suspended from the reverse of the bracelets.
Birdwood (1880, pl. 49) illustrates similar bracelets and attributes them to Dinajpur in Bengal (now part of Bangladesh). Untracht (1997, p. 249) illustrates a related pair and attributes them to the Balangir district in Orissa.
The pair here is in a fine condition.
Birdwood, G., The Industrial Arts of India, 1880.
Untracht, O., Traditional Jewelry of India, Thames & Hudson, 1997.