This fine crucifix pendant is of silver, silver filigree and gold. The central cruciform panel shows the crucified Jesus on one side and Mary holding the Infant on the other, surrounded by layers of silver filigree and applied silver plaques. The central panel is suspended from a floral-like bow of silver filigree, and a single, tear-shaped filigree bead is suspended from the central panel.
A plaque that reads ‘INRI’ is attached to the cross over Jesus’ head.
The pendant is kept in its original leather box that is lined with red silk. A cavity in the silk allows the pendant to rest safely inside, attached to a small hook above which means that the pendant and box can be displayed open, almost as a decorative object.
The pendant with its form and filigree work looks as if it might be Spanish colonial and even from the Philippines but in actual fact, it is from Switzerland. Gerlach (1971, plate 40) in a book that was first published in 1906 illustrates several very similar examples and attributes them to central Switzerland.
The example here is in fine condition and its accompanying box is in excellent condition.
Gerlach, M. (ed.), Primitive and Folk Jewelry, (originally published in 1906), Dover Publications, 1971.