– scroll down to see further images –
This impressive ring is cast with what appears to be two traditional dwelling huts or grain stacks with a central bridge. The ‘huts’ and bridge are topped with bud-like finials. The sides are decorated with plaited bands.
The hollow-cast ‘huts’ contain small stones or pieces of metal so that the ring rings when the toe or foot is moved.
The ring here has substantial wear and a dark-chocolate patina. The underside is marked with an old collection inventory number.
A less detailed example is in the Victoria & Albert Museum and illustrated in Barnard (2008, p. 38). It has little patina and was acquired by the museum in 1872.
The example here has splendid wear and age.
Barnard, N., Indian Jewellery, V&A Publishing, 2008.